Are you trying to update Discord? But you are stuck on the Discord stuck on checking for updates error? If yes, read on.
Discord update failed is one of the common errors that we often face. In this case, we get to see a Discord updated failed loop. As a result, you cannot access Discord or update it anymore.
However, the good part is that fixing Discord not updating error is extremely easy, and there are a bunch of methods that you can try out.
To help you out, I am going to mention all the fixes to fix discord update loop one by one. So let’s just head into the topic without wasting much of the time:
Why is my discord stuck on updating?
There are quite a lot of reasons why Discord stuck on checking for updates. However, two of the common reason is:
1. Your Discord app does not have administrator privileges. As a result, it is facing issues while updating.
2. It can also be a network glitch that is not letting Discord download the necessary update files. As a result, it is stuck on the update screen only and trying to download the necessary update files.
Apart from these two reasons, there can be quite a lot of other reasons too why Discord stuck downloading update.
Anyway, let me just go ahead and talk about the possible solutions to fix Discord won’t update error:
How To Fix Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates?
1. Run Discord As Administrator
One of the first things that you can do is run Discord as administrator. There is a high chance that Discord is lacking admin access to run the update and install it by itself.
So if you do give Discord all the required access, Discord stuck on checking updates error might get fixed.
For this, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the Windows search bar and type down Discord.
- Then right click on Discord and select “Run as administrator”.
- Next, click on the Yes button, and Discord will start looking for updates, and if there is any update, it will install them.
2. Delete AppData and Reinstall Discord
The second method that you can try out is to delete existing AppData and then reinstall Discord. This way, the older files of Discord will get completely removed from your computer, and you will be able to perform a fresh install. So, you will be able to switch to the latest version of Discord without any issues.
For this, you have to follow these steps:
- At first, go to Task Manager and end all Tasks related to Discord.
- Next, go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program.
- Now over here, look for Discord app and click on the Uninstall button to remove the app from your computer.
- Once uninstalled, press Windows Key + R button to launch the RUN dialog box.
- Over here, type down %appdata% and hit the enter button. This will open up a new window, which will contain not required cache and data files.
- Use CTRL + A button to select all the files, and delete them. Also, in the end, one file would not get deleted, so leave it as it is.
- Now go to the Discord download page and download the latest version of Discord from there.
- Finally, run the discord installer and follow all the screen instructions to install Discord on your computer.
3. Disable Windows Defender
Windows Defender often blocks different applications on your computer from updating themselves. So to fix Discord stuck on checking for updates error, you can try disabling Windows defender for a while and try to update Discord.
To do so, you can follow these steps:
- At first, click on the Windows icon from the bottom right corner.
- Then go to Settings > Update and Security.
- Next, from the sidebar, click on Windows Defender.
- Finally, you have to toggle off real time protection, and you are good to go.
- Once, Windows defender is disabled, launch Discord as administrator and see if you are being able to update Discord or not.
4. Disable Antivirus Protection
Are you using an Antivirus program on Windows computer? If yes, then it could be the reason why you are facing discord update failed loop error.
So you can consider disabling antivirus protection for a while and see if it has helped you to fix the issue or not.
For example, I am using Avast Antivirus, and to disable it, I have to right click on the Avast Shield Controls and disable it from there.
This is quite similar to other Antivirus applications too. So do disable your antivirus at first and then try to update Discord and see if it fixes your issue or not.
5. Contact Discord Support
In the end, if none of the above methods helped you to fix Discord stuck on checking for updates error. Then the best you can do is contact Discord support, and they will help you out.
There are a bunch of ways to contact Discord support. You can go to their Discord Support page and submit a ticket related to your issue.
Or you can tweet to Discord at @Discord, and they will help you out instantly.
So that how can you fix Discord stuck on checking for updates error. Now it is your turn to go ahead and check these methods one by one and see if they are working out for you or not.
Also, if you have any more questions to ask related to the discord update failed loop, do feel free to let me know through the comments below.
- How To Tell If Someone Blocked You On Discord?
- How To Install Discord Themes in 2021?
- How To Transfer Steam Wallet To PayPal in 2021?